A zucchini pie with an Indian flavor

By Unknown - February 06, 2014


 



When I come back to Toulouse, the city where I spent a long time of my childhood, there is this one place I particularly love to go to. It’s called Bapz house and it’s a little tea room in one of the narrow streets of Toulouse.

I discovered the place when I was in High School. It was a 15-minute walk away from it and I have to say that I fell in love with it as soon as I set foot inside it. It’s the kind of place that is “out of time” or where it feels like like time has stopped. When you’re in the Bapz, it feels like you could be anywhere at anytime. For a moment, you’re just out of time, out of school, out of everything.

Of course, as I studied in Toulouse for a couple years after my High School graduation, I never missed an occasion to have a cup of tea and a “magie noire” with my friend Jade. We made the place some kind of secret Head Quarters where we would just be together and isolated from the stress of our studies.

If you go there, don't miss a chance to try their scones with sour cream and jam! They're awesome (photo was taken on this website)

Now that I have left Toulouse, I miss the place even more. So every time I come back, I always come and have a cup of tea there with my Mother. She and I share the same love for the place and we like to enjoy their lunch. Last time we went there, we tried a zucchini pie which was just delicious, savoury, tasty or whatever compliments you can find to such a pie.

So this week, I’ve been inspired to try to cook my own. I wanted a savoury crust, so I added lots of cereals and seeds and a drizzle of honey, just for the taste. As for the filling, I chose to add to the batter a bit of Indian curry. I remember that my mother often added some zucchinis when she cooked chicken curry. So that’s how I got inspired for a simple pie. A basic recipe full of memories which I hope to share with you.



Zucchini pie – serves 6

Crust :

-        50 g oil (I used grapes seeds oil but you can pick the one you prefer)
-        10 g olive oil
-        150 g flour
-        1 spoon honey
-        4 table spoons wheat germ
-        4 table spoons cereal flakes
-        Salt and pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine the oils, the salt and pepper, the cereals, the wheat germs and the honey.

Add the flour and mix until you have homogeneous dough. You may have to have a bit water of more flour depending on the kind of flour you used. Cover and set in the fridge for one hour.

Filling :

-        3 large green zucchinis
-        50 g bacon strips
-        3 eggs
-        1 large tablespoon sour cream
-        200 g milk
-        50 g shredded cheese
-        Raisins and pumpkin seeds to taste
-        Salt and pepper to taste
-        Curry to taste

Preheat your even at 350°F (180°C)

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the salt and pepper, the curry, the sour cream and the milk. Keep whisking until bubbles appear.

Cut the zucchinis in thin slices. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and  cook the zucchinis with the bacon strips until the zucchinis’ juice has evaporated.

Roll and spread the crust and use it to fill the bottom and the sides of a baking tin. Use a fork to make holes in the crust.

Add the cooked zucchinis and bacon strips. Add the raisins, the seeds and the cheese and cover with the batter.

Cook the pie for 30 minutes or until the top is light brown. You can eat it with rice or any vegetables.

Bon apétit!





  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments